Thursday 2 January 2014

How To Meal Plan

Most home organisation and frugality blogs will recommend meal planning. 

It saves time, it saves money, it saves stress.  It's just one way of making life a whole lot easier.

How I Meal Plan

I have a spreadsheet with each week of the year as a new tab.

It has a tab at the front that is my freezer inventory (saves time routing through)

I have a formula for filling each week, which is

I have 3 children, one doesn't have much choice in what they eat yet but the other two both choose a meal each for Monday and Tuesday.

Wednesday is always a roast

Thursday is always a meal made from Roast Leftovers (there always are some as I cook too much on the Wednesday to ensure an easy meal for Thursday)

Friday is always freezer food

Saturday is always a takeaway

Sunday is always a slow cooker meal, prepped in the morning and left to do It's own Thing while I do mine.

Filling The Freezer

I batch cook as much as I can as I'm all for less time cooking.

When I do batch cook, I add the meal into the next available freezer Friday slot.  if I do this, it doesn't go on the Freezer Inventory as it will be accounted for twice

So What is the Freezer Inventory for?

For when things don't go to plan or for lunches.

The Shopping List

I also do my shopping list when I meal plan, then I can print one column off and check it against what is in the storecupboards, freezer and fridge.

I cross off anything I already have in then go to mysupermarket.com and see where I can shop the cheapest and where I can grab coupons to reduce my weekly spend.

And there you have it.

It works for me, I swear by it and there are loads more meal plans available on line.  Two of my favourites are At Home With Mrs M and I'm an Organizing Junkie  both have massive link ups where you can get inspiration.


No comments:

Post a Comment